Herbal Steam Tools:
1/3 cup dried lavender blossoms1/3 cup dried calendula blossoms 4 to 5 drops geranium essential oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
Herbal Steam How-To:
1. Add dried lavender and calendula (plus any additional herbs of your choice) to a large French press or teapot. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the herbs and steep for about 10 minutes.
2. When the herbs are finished steeping, fill a clean bathroom sink halfway with very hot water. Pull up a chair that will allow you to hang your head over the basin, about 6 to 8 inches from the water. Press or strain the herbs, then add the herbal infusion to the water. Add geranium essential oil.
3. Drape a large bath towel over your head and shoulders to create a "tent" over the sink and steam your face and neck for 3 to 5 minutes. If the water cools, add hot water as needed to produce more steam.
4. After steaming, splash your face and neck with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean, fluffy towel.
5. All skin types, especially mature skin, will benefit from a post-steam facial massage to keep skin moist and soft. Simply apply a few drops of a light oil (such as avocado or apricot kernel) to your fingers, then gently massage your forehead, cheeks, chin, and neck using small, inward circles.
PS Photos Courtesy of MarthaStewart.com